Singapore is an exciting place to work as a global convergence point for big brands and corporate houses. The government too encourages foreign workers to assist in the continued growth of the country.
Singapore ranks highly among skilled and non-skilled professionals who are looking for a job or to start a business. However, if you want to be a part of the workforce, you will have to decide on and secure a visa at the very beginning.
Did you know that Singapore has eight type of working visas? This simple guide will answer all your queries about Singapore working Visa.
How to choose a visa type for Sinagpore?
Compared to most other countries, Singapore work visa requirements are based on salary, making them much easier to decode and apply. Different types of work permits apply depending on the duration and purpose of stay.
Employers are quite diligent about proper working visa since any irregularity leads to heavy penalties on their end. Listed below are the different working visas:
- Employment Pass (EP) are for executive or managerial position commanding at least 3,600 SGD per month valid for 1-2 years and renewable for a further 3 years. It can be applied for by approved employers only and is processed by the Singapore Ministry of Manpower. Relevant qualifications and proof of employment are key requirements for this pass.
- Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass) are required for business relocation to Singapore. It is valid for a year only and can be renewed for two years. Prior to application for an EntrePass you have to be registered with Singapore’s Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority with a paid-up capital of at least 50,000 SGD. It has stringent merit checks among other criteria:
- being part of government supported incubator.
- collaborator with A*STAR or university.
- ownership of recognised intellectual property.
- funding from a business angel or government accredited venture capital fund.
- Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is the most flexible visa for upper management professionals with an income of 18,000 SGD, while income requirement for those already holding an EP is 12,000 SGD. It is valid for 3 years and allows job changes too.
- S Pass is for mid-skilled workers earning at least 2,300 SGD per month. It requires an employer or employment agent to file the application.
Other than these, there are the Work Permit for Foreign Worker that allows semi-skilled, or unskilled employees working in construction, shipyards, or services sectors with a 2-year renewable visa and no minimum salary specifications. Similar to it is the Work Permit for Foreign Domestic Worker. The Work Permit for Performing Artiste is a 6-month only visa and must be applied for by an accredited public entertainment company. Finally, the 16-week non-renewable Work Permit for Confinement Nanny is only for Malaysian females of 23-70 age-group.
Singapore working visas are reasonably easy to acquire, however, their quality checks and process requirements are quite stringent. Allow experts to guide you through the process. Call us to enjoy your Singapore Employment Pass!